The Specialist Media Show
has surveyed 200 publishers, polling their views on paid content, live events, apps, digital editions and social media and how all these new media channels will expand their brands.
The sample has a strong bias to MDs, publishers and owners in niche consumer and b2b media businesses, under £10m turnover. The high levels of experimental activity in a variety of areas shows that innovation is taking place in specialist markets as much as many mainstream publishing sectors.
- 34% are charging for online content now – and another 15% have plans to do so in the next two years
- One-third of those can charge several hundred pounds for annual subscriptions
- 16% already charge for web-based digital editions, and a further 12% bundle with a print subscription
- 22% already have a mobile app or are about to launch – a further 15% plan a launch in the next year. Business models are split between sponsored and paid, with lots of testing in process
- 34% plan a digital archive – either subs-driven or ad-funded
- 42% are planning a tablet edition
- 53% are planning to add video content
- New innovative online services are also being considered for the next two years: 70% are considering running online networking services, 63% webinars, 53% virtual events and 39% distance learning
And perhaps most interestingly, publishers polled are bullish on the prospects for print, with 85% expecting consumer magazines to still exist in print beyond 2020, with specialist consumer titles the most resilient. However, 42% expect all printed business magazines to be subs-only within 5 years.
Register to attend
the Specialist Media Show on 25 May 2011 for a day of inspiration and ideas, meeting other specialist media professionals.
Full results of the research will be presented at the Specialist Media Show Conference. See the full conference programme.
AOP members benefit from a 10% discount on all conference tickets. Use these codes on the registration page
AOPEB for 10% off the early bird rate of £149+VAT
AOPMO for 10% off the media owner rate of £195+VAT
AOPSS for 10% off the suppliers & services rate of £250+VAT
Join the AOP group on LinkedIn
- open for all Members
to join Subscribe
to AOP's e-newsletter.