Turning audiences into new opportunities
Content + community + technology = engagement.
That was the equation set out by Digital Spy Editor David Moynihan in his introduction to the AOP April Forum yesterday. Underpinning all of that, he said, is data.
The Forum, “Transforming your content with data”, brought together speakers from AOL, Dennis Publishing, Immediate Media, UBM and agency Clearleft.
Among the key points were four rules Sally Shepherd, Head of App Development at Dennis Media Factory, gave based on the launch and subsequent tweaking of the company’s new Evo app:
Laura Jenner, Senior Product Manager - Radio Times at Immediate Media, warned that, with the plethora of data available, it’s vital to agree what data is important before starting a project, in order to avoid problems later on, a point that was backed up by Jack Riley, Head of Audience Development at AOL. Read Jack's blog here.
“The tools you use and the mix of data you collect depends on the person you’re talking to, for example whether it’s a designer or your MD,” he said. “You have to really think about who you’re presenting to.”
And Adrian Barrick, Chief Content Officer, UBM summed up the new collaborative approach that data brings to publishing, and particularly editorial.
- Research - use multiple data sources to get a detailed picture.
- Iteration - don’t change everything in one go. Release early, release often.
- Details - small refinements can have a big impact.
- Confidence - initial reaction isn’t final - people change.
“No one person can own a site these days the way the editor used to,” he said.
To view Andy and Sally's presentation click here
by Michael Nutley, Forum Content Producer
- Welcome from AOP
: Tim Cain, Managing Director, AOP
- Chair's introduction
- David Moynihan, Editor, Digital Spy
- Evo redesigned
- Sally Shepard, Head of App Development, Dennis Media Factory
; Andy Budd, CEO, Clearleft
*The redesign of the Evo digital edition and what happened next3.05-3.25pm
- Data: Navigating the opportunities
- Laura Jenner, Senior Product Manager - Radio Times, Immediate Media
*How the journeys taken by Immediate Media brands including Radio Times and You And Your Wedding were powered by data
*The advantage of user data to publishers pondering new directions.
- Coffee Break
- Leveraging audience understanding to provide value for events
- Adrian Barrick, Chief Content Officer, UBM
*Responding to the need for more value for community-based websites.
- Panel Discussions - Panellists
:David Moynihan, Editor, Digital Spy (moderator)
Adrian Barrick, Chief Content Officer, UBM
Andy Budd, CEO, Clearleft
Laura Jenner, Senior Product Manager - Radio Times, Immediate Media
Jack Riley, Head of Audience Development, AOL
Sally Shepard, Head of App Development, Dennis Media Factory
4.45-6pm - Please Join Us For Drinks