With the EU Privacy Directive coming into force in the UK on 26 May, this event took a detailed look at what publishers should be doing to prepare:
Members can download speaker presentations below
- What are the options and actions for media owners to become compliant?
- How will these changes affect publishers' commercial operations?
- What will be the impact on the user?
The Twitter hashtag for this event was #ukaop
Read our summary of the event
Read Matt Stannard of 4Ps Marketing's summary of the event
Chairman’s Introduction - Nick Stringer, Director of Regulatory Affairs, Internet Advertising Bureau (IAB)
Facilitating Practical Understanding; Laying Down The Law
David Smith, Deputy Commissioner & Director of Data Protection, ICO
Translating the ICO guidelines into practical steps for publishers
- Detailed update with timescales on current and future proposals across EU data protection framework
- Regulator view on the evolving framework along with impending challenges and wins
- Updates, advice and regulator views specific to the privacy & cookie directive
Damian Scragg, Managing Director, Evidon
A Detailed Look at Compliance Options and Models
- What does the directive mean for each party across the ecosystem? Site users to advertisers?
- The audit: understanding the process AND Post-audit considerations
- Responsibility and liability
- Establishing and dictating best practice: managing stakeholders – Agencies, networks, brands
- Implications of and for 3rd Party Cookies and affiliates
Matt Stannard, Chief Technology Officer, 4Ps Marketing
Panel 1 - Evaluating Compliance Models, Technology & User Experience
- A practical overview of the compliance models in use/available
- How compliant are the models currently being considered?
- Implications of Facebook Apps and similar applications
- What are the cookie exemptions publishers should understand?
- Matt Stannard, Chief Technology Officer, 4Ps Marketing
- David Smith, Deputy Commissioner & Director of Data Protection, ICO
- Clive Grinyer, Director of User Experience, Cisco
- Damian Scragg, Managing Director, Evidon
Google’s Perspective on the Privacy Reforms
- What do publishers need to understand about the technological implications of the directive?
- Considerations for designing the user experience around compliant models
- Regulators view on user experience concerns and impact
Theo Bertram, UK Policy Manager, Google
Panel 2 - Investigating the Commercial Implications of the Directive
- Google’s privacy concerns and updates – Google Analytics, Chrome
- What are the consequences for publishers?
- Consideration of future challenges
- Theo Bertram, Head of UK Policy, Google Inc
- Tim Gentry, Head of Optimisation & Effectiveness, The Guardian
- Simon Morrissey, Partner, Media, Brands & Technology, Lewis Silkin,
- Danilo Labovic, Managing Director EMEA, TRUSTe
The difference between consent and opt-in
EU Privacy Directive – what’s on the slate for 2012
Preparing for the EU Privacy Directive
Why the cookie audit rush?
- Effects on analytics and browser functionality; how does this impact the advertiser proposal?
- What to consider when creating and managing third party agreements/relationships
- Practical & legal understanding of compact policy (CP) and Platform for Privacy Preference (P3P)
- Best practice guidelines, legal considerations and liabilities for commercial stakeholders