From Wikileaks to the MPs' expenses scandal, the biggest stories increasingly involve analysing huge amounts of data.
With data journalism tipped to move into the mainstream
this year, we ask:
Download Speaker Presentation
- What is data journalism and what are the benefits and the emerging trends?
- How do journalists find the numbers and the stories within them?
- How can data journalism can increase engagement and revenue for your brand?
- What are the tools and processes available to journalists for creating interactive stories?
- A look at projects and stories created using various methods and tools
The event was chaired by Neil McIntosh
, Deputy Editor, The Wall Street Journal, Europe Read our summary of the event & watch our interview with Neil. Getting Started: Datasets and Toolkits The Miso project & dataset
- What are the global implications of the project?
- The importance and benefits of open source
- Handling data source variety
- The evolution of data journalism through Miso
, Interactive Developer, The Guardian/Miso project
Evaluating tool kits and technology available to journalists today
- Using APIs and automating data transformation
- How can crowdsourcing be used to enhance the data story
- What are the approaches to interpretation, forming visualisations and infographics?
- Screen scraping, interactive interfaces and analysis – investigating instruments of the trade
, Digital Strategist, Media Development Loan Fund
Assessing data sources and crystalising the story within the numbers
- What are the trusted sources of data and how to sense check
- Using the freedom of information act, FOI
- Identifying the story within the data. What do we look for?
- Understanding administrative geography and the units used in public data
- Refining, cleaning and analysing data
, Interactive Producer, Financial Times
The view and process from a working data journalism team
- A practical look at the workings and structure of the BBC Interactive team
- Project process and real-life considerations
- Case studies and project specifics
, Senior Product Manager, BBC News
, Interactive News Editor, Telegraph Media Group also joined the panel for the Q&A to close the event.
Background Data Journalism Handbook 3 emerging forms of data journalism Data journalism - the Guardian approach Data-driven Journalism
- a set of data journalism resources from the European Journalism Centre. Useful resources on data journalism
from Data Miner UK