Aims of the Campaign
TopGear.com Nissan 'Traitors' Microsite
- Activate Nissan ‘Sports’ Traitors activity to promote the 370z car
- Build brand awareness, positively increase perception across a set of key brand attributes and actively engage the users of topGear.com
- Highlight the effectiveness of the campaign through research.
- Create a cross-platform campaign, including a microsite with gaming, video and competition components.
- Direct people to the microsite via multiple advertorials in TopGear magazine, ads on topgear.com and via TopGear's Facebook page.
The fundamental objective of the campaign was to get users interacting with the brand by extending the opportunity to experience the Nissan 370z, whether via a track day, winning the chance to test a 370z, watching a video of the car in action or by playing the ‘Traitors’ game online.
The ‘Traitors’ microsite positioned the Nissan 370z apart from other high-end sports cars by championing its ability to cater to everyone - as a sports car which provides value for money, style and performance.
The microsite also included blogs by the competition entrants, who won the chance to test drive the Nissan 370z for a two-week period, giving a unique insight into how the 370z could fit into a potential owner’s life.
It also provided key facts about the historical context behind Nissan Sports cars through the heritage section, which promoted the prestige of the brand.
To create the complete cross-media campaign there were eight advertorials in TopGear magazine detailing the events of the track days and also directing readers to the ‘Traitors’ microsite.
This was supplemented with social media coverage, via regular updates from the TopGear Facebook page, which has seven million fans, and its Twitter account, which has a further 140,000 followers.
Insight Supporting the Campaign
Running alongside the campaign were pre-, mid- and post- surveys to measure the effectiveness of the ‘Traitors’ campaign.
BBC Worldwide devised a survey and prompted users to take part using a popup on topgear.com. The survey yielded more than 7,000 respondents, giving Nissan a valuable insight into how its campaign was perceived by the TopGear audience.
- The microsite was a huge success, reaching just under 600,000 unique users, 850,000 hits, 580,000 game plays and 23,000 competition entrants.
- There was an uplift in every attribute associated with the Nissan 370z Coupe and Roadster.
- Nissan reached their target audience of 30-44-year-old males – the demographic with the highest response rate at mid-campaign with a 43% share.
- Call to action was high with one in two respondents who recalled the campaign going on to carry out an activity based around the ‘Traitors’ microsite.
- Consideration to purchase was high with 60% of those recalling the campaign stating they would consider buying a Nissan.
- Overall, nine respondents purchased a Nissan as a result of the campaign, demonstrating the campaign’s ability to drive footfall.
"This bespoke research provided an in-depth view of how successful the campaign was in raising awareness of - and engagement with - the Nissan 370z, via social media, the micro-site and the TopGear brand. The success of the campaign as demonstrated by the research showed how successful Nissan’s partnership with TopGear had been."Leonie Tapley, Marketing Director, Nissan GB
For more information,visit www.bbcmagazinesadvertising.com