Digital Agency Team (DAT) was formed in late 2007 with the remit of managing advertising agencies and working with them to create bespoke digital advertising solutions across Future’s digital portfolio.
Enterprise and Innovation
The team was created as part of Future’s investment into digital media, including the launch of three new flagship Radar sites: BikeRadar
, which along with established site GamesRadar
, complement its highly-targeted portfolio of around 80 magazines.
Over half of the sales team underwent a rigorous training programme to ensure digital sales ‘best practice’. This, plus a proactive 'can do' approach and commitment to achieving the best possible client solutions, has transformed DAT into an expert digital media unit, already achieving significant new revenue streams for TechRadar and BikeRadar.
Future DAT innovation
- Bespoke digital solutions such as including video and behavioural targeting - achieving the best possible ad placement for clients
- Integrated cross portfolio/cross-media solutions, through Future’s magazines, events, and websites
- Provision and application of new/unique digital techniques: e.g. Reskin (see screenshot - allows the site to be tailored to reflect the advertiser’s own branding), Transparent Skyscraper (recently used to promote the forthcoming video game Call of Duty 5)
Terminator Site Reskin
Professionalism and Client Relations
Future has worked extremely hard to ensure digital solutions become core to the business, using its multi-media heritage and skills - Future was the first media company to introduce a covermounted disc to its magazines. With a new team, working from a standing start (selling never-seen-before digital solutions on new websites), their success has been impressive and is testament to their unprecedented levels of professionalism, dedication and talent over the past year.
The team has also worked extremely hard to foster excellent relationships with clients and agencies. This is reflected not only in a rapid business growth, but also in the forging of long-term commercial partnerships (five shopping partners on BikeRadar, four on MusicRadar) which represents good business for Future and excellent service and delivery for the clients.
Another key example of excellent client relations is the provision of digital creative (including building standalone sites) for advertisers who are without a creative agency. This is a new revenue stream for Future, and also goes beyond a traditional creative solutions offering. This is proving to be of real significant benefit to clients.
Development in the judging year
Working completely from this standing start position with three major launches in the the judges year, little or no experience of working in digital media, and with a whole host of new and bespoke advertising products to sell, the DAT team have surpassed expectations.
The team have been supported by a bespoke training and development programme, held internally with the support of representatives from Agenda 21, Naked Communications, i-level, Flash Talking, Web TV, Revenue Science and DMC2 to name but a few.
These sessions were held with experienced planners, buyers and designers so that the training was directly relevant to the team, also ensuring that all learning is relevant to prevailing trends and attitudes within the digital space.
Key successes/wins for the DAT team:
- Significant revenue growth in the year ending June ’08
- Yield increases in the period
- Advertiser base grown by 74% in H1 2008 compared to H1 2007, with big wins such as Ford, Honda, BMW, Adidas, Sky, Dell, and Barclaycard
- Five commercial shopping partnerships entered into on BikeRadar (such as leading cycling retailers Chain Reaction and Wiggle) and four on MusicRadar (such as Thomann and iMusician)
Future’s premium re-skin product across its games and technology portfolios has been extremely successful, and is highly sought-after month after month. It commands a premium rate and is a digital media first, currently not available elsewhere on any other digital property.Find out more about Future Publishing
"Innovative use of ad formats, great execution and good revenues - put digital strategy at the heart of their business."
Join the AOP group on LinkedIn
- open for all Members
to join Subscribe
to AOP's e-newsletter.